Over the long weekend I had the chance to hike three amazing places. I started off with a quick sunrise hike up Koko Head. There I met many other amazing people who braved 1,000+ steps to the top! And Me? This was my fourth time climbing Koko Head. There may possibly be something wrong with me, but I sure love it.
Next I spent 6 hours slugging through the crazy muddy Wa’ahila Ridge trail. This was my 3rd attempt at hiking this spot and I wasn’t going to let some mud stop me again!
We made it and the darn clouds came in… I guess I need to head to the top again :).
The third hike was one I had been wanting to hike since I got to the island… the three peaks of Olomana. Working my way up to the more difficult third peak, we only did the first peak (mostly because it was CRAZY muddy too!)
The sites were definitely worth it… (behind me are the 2nd and 3rd peaks)
So… to the real reason you may be reading this… what did I make this week?
One of the meals this week is Paleomg’s Strawberry Chicken Salad (http://paleomg.com/strawberry-poppyseed-chicken-salad-sandwiches/)
I didn’t follow the recipe exactly, but I added notes next to the differences.
- ½ cup Strawberry Poppyseed Dressing
For the dressing:
- 1 cup sliced strawberries
- ¼ cup Kasandrinos Olive Oil
- 2 tablespoons Kasandrinos Balsamic Vinegar
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 1 minced garlic clove
- pinch of salt and pepper
- 1 tablespoon poppyseeds [I didn’t add poppyseads]
- ¼ cup Primal Kitchen Mayo or homemade mayo [I bought pre-made]
- 2 cups cooked, diced and cooled chicken [about 2 chicken breasts]
- ¼ cup diced celery (1 stalk of celery)
- ¼ cup diced carrot (1 small carrot) [used baby carrots]
- ¼ small white onion, minced
- ¼ cup diced walnuts
- ⅛ teaspoon garlic powder
- ⅛ teaspoon fine sea salt
- Mix all ingredients for the chicken salad in a large bowl until well combined.
After 10+ hours of hiking this weekend, you’d think I’d be tired… NOPE. I am only excited for the next hike 🙂